Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Teenage Riot









Shirt- Thrifted, Shorts- Thrifted, Swearer- Forever 21, Necklace- Flea Market

This is easily my favorite shirt I own. I found it at Wasteland last summer, and snatched it up like my life depended on it. It was already cut up, and it may be one of the most comfortable shirts I own.
Also, just take a moment to marvel in the glory of these earrings. 
Amazing, right?! I couldn't believe something so perfect could have existed. 

Now I'd like to talk about something that has been bugging me lately. I'm having a hard time understanding people's viewpoint on Gay Rights.
I'd like to start off by saying that I'm really into going to church and all that jazz. I love youth group and am going to a private Christian college. However, when I hear all this advocating against gay marriage it just confuses me.
Firstly, I do not see any factual reason why it should be outlawed. It's not hurting anyone. And if people really wanted to protect the sanctity of marriage, then wouldn't it make more sense to outlaw divorce? (Not that I think it should be outlawed in any way.)
But mainly, I do not understand why it would make sense to outlaw it because it goes against your beliefs. I, personally, do not believe in gay marriage because of my religion. That being said, I'm not going to get a gay marriage or advocate it. However, I do not believe that means that I have the right to take that away from someone. I feel that people often forget that we live in a country where church and state are separate, and people are free to practice or not to practice religion as they choose. Since not everyone shares the same religious beliefs as me, I believe that taking the right for a gay couple to be married imposes on their freedom of religion. I think that the morality of gay marriage should be determined individually.
And while polygamy may be a similar when it comes to freedom of religion, there could easily be abuse involved with the practice, so it makes more sense why that should be outlawed.
The freedom to practice religion is a beautiful aspect of this country, and I think it's important to protect it as much as possible. Please feel free to share your thoughts on this!

And now I leave you with a song by Cage the Elephant. Have a fantastic day! 

1 comment:

Restless Youth. All rights reserved.
Lamentations 3:22-23
Blog design by labinastudio.